Friday 26 July 2013

Rationalisation Needed

Ok........I can't work this one out, can you rationalise it for me and explain it back to me?

There is a job that I have applied for. I believe that I meet all the criteria, have the required experience, qualifications etc. So I sent my application, crossed my fingers and toes and waited, hoping for a response of some sort, either positive or negative.

A month went past and the job was still showing as current on the job site, but there was no closing date, so I didn't know when it was going to close. I checked the companies website to see if there was any more information on there and found that it gave the name of the HR Manager. I ummed and aaahed for a couple more days, then decided to call and ask to speak to him, just wanting to know when the vacancy close date was. I called, spoke to a really lovely lady to explained that he was in a meeting (she sounded genuine) and suggested that I drop him an email. So I did, explaining that I had applied for the vacancy and could he let me know when the closing date was. I waited a week, no reply, but the job was still on line. so I mailed again. Still no reply.

So, I just sighed and tried to forget all about it, but it was niggling me.

Then out of the blue, for no reason that I can see (and there probably is some computer related linky type thingy in the background that I don't understand at work here), The HR manager suddenly popped up on my 'could be a new contact' bit on Linkedin. I was puzzled, but as I said its probably a computer thingy. I presume.....?

Anyway, after almost another week had gone past and the job is still on line, still not showing a closing date and by now I am getting the hump a little, so I hit the button that sends a message to people not currently on your contacts list on Linkedin and thought 'sod it, I've got nothing to lose......and to my surprise he added me to his list of contacts the next day! I felt quietly hopeful that he might link me to the job ad and my application. He could view my CV and see the forums that I participate in, which all adds to my credibility to be able to carry out my chosen career path.

But I can't tell if he has viewed anything and the job was taken down off the on line website on Wednesday, but I haven't heard anything, not a dickey bird.

Now am I expecting too much, did I do wrong emailing him directly to ask a question? Why did he add me to his list of contacts, its clear from my profile that I do what I say I do, have xvz qualifications...

Maybe I am being too impatient,  too hyper sensitive, too forward........I don't know any more........any comments, thoughts, suggestions???

I can only think that they have already filled the vacancy as I am starting to realise that when a job goes off line it means the role has been filled and not that they are getting ready to interview.

Damn, blast and botheration. I think I would have liked that role.

1 comment:

Sol said...

There is also the other part of it that the job role is no longer there due to restructure to save money or the budget didn't get signed off?

I hate it when you can tell the job has been written for someone in particular but because if the law they have to advertise it. so only a person already in the company can do the job. So say, Administrator, who has qualifications in Free Diving and a degree in hand crafted macramé.

I feel your pain I really do. it is so frustrating

Good luck I hope you find something else